PDA

View Full Version : Divorce proceedings involving a foreign bride

keltoh
13-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Dear all, i have seek most legal and friendly advices, but none work. let me describe briefly my situation.

I was married to this vietnam gal in 2005, whereby our friend witness our marriage. we did not stay together, did not have sex, did not go thru customary. only signing of marriage and vowing. however, in 2006, due to some circumstances, i was incarcerated and was released in 2008. she didnt came to visit me, neither did she write to me abt her whereabouts. after i was released, i looked for my witness in marriage but he told me she was nowhere to be found. i know her in singapore, and i do not have her vietnam address or contact no.

so what if i want to proceed with the divorce procedures, what can i do?
she is nowhere to be found, i have went to ICA, but they told me its not within their means. I went to the police, they told me the same thing.

please advise bros, thanks

joew2005
13-05-2009, 06:59 PM
I m abit puzzled.....
Where did u marry tis gal ? Is it legal ?
Why were u married,but didn't stay 2together ?
Is it a transaction bet 2 adults ?
Is she on a social visit pass or PR under yr kare ?

FL Lover
14-05-2009, 01:09 AM
Dear all, i have seek most legal and friendly advices, but none work. let me describe briefly my situation.

I was married to this vietnam gal in 2005, whereby our friend witness our marriage. we did not stay together, did not have sex, did not go thru customary. only signing of marriage and vowing. however, in 2006, due to some circumstances, i was incarcerated and was released in 2008. she didnt came to visit me, neither did she write to me abt her whereabouts. after i was released, i looked for my witness in marriage but he told me she was nowhere to be found. i know her in singapore, and i do not have her vietnam address or contact no.

she is nowhere to be found, i have went to ICA, but they told me its not within their means. I went to the police, they told me the same thing.

KNN, Bro. You have just pawned yourself. Did you agree to bring her into singapore by having a fake marriage between u n her?

Simple loh. Check with ICA if she is still in singapore by providing them with yor ROM cert. Tell them yor wife is MIA after u come back. ICA will tell u if she is still in sg. If she is in sg, then go to police n file for a missing person report. If she is not in SG, go to a lawyer who can advise you on the procedures to divorce loh.

If ICA is unable to check if she is still in sg, then who can check? then no choice. go to the police, file a complaint report that yor wife is MIA and the police is not helping u at all. CONFIRM THEY WILL CHECK WITH THE ICA WHETHER YOR WIFE IS STILL IN SG OR LEAVE SG ALREADY. All got records one. We are talking abt SG. NOT BOLEH LAND (MSIA)

ekemono
14-05-2009, 06:04 AM
Here, do give them a call to hook up an appointment. They provide free legal advice

:: The Law Society of Singapore: Introduction to Pro Bono Services (http://www.lawsociety.org.sg/probono/Default.aspx#contact)

Most probably for your case, you can divorce on the grounds of deed of seperation.

newyorker88
14-05-2009, 02:57 PM
hmm... seperated for 3 years...

By the way, I hope you did not "marry" her for "transaction". Listen to the advice given by brothers here, go and sort it out. ASAP.

Get your life straighten out.

keltoh
14-05-2009, 05:46 PM
hi guys thanks for the prompt advice
first of all, there is a transaction involved and its not legal, its the fake marriage that we all called.
nxt, i did went to ica, the IO told me that i didnt even know where is my wife how do they know?

keltoh
14-05-2009, 05:47 PM
and yes she is staying in sg for the 6 mths on long term visit pass untill i was incarcerated.

FL Lover
15-05-2009, 10:31 AM
first of all, there is a transaction involved and its not legal, its the fake marriage that we all called.
nxt, i did went to ica, the IO told me that i didnt even know where is my wife how do they know?

BRO, Did you check with ICA if your wife is still in SG or already left SG? Dont tell me they also cannot check on that? Impossible lah. Either they cant be bothered or they are lazying on their work.

Most important, get a local lawyer who can help u with that. Thats what you get for fake marriage.

Panamera
15-05-2009, 10:44 AM

you be at risk again when this fake marriage is uncovered eventually.
you better get a good lawyer to handle both issues.

newyorker88
15-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Ok, you are in a fix now.

1) Find out where she is now.
2) ICA cannot help you? Then ask her friends, or the person "connected" to her on this.
3) Get a laywer to help you out.
4) Divorce her with right procedures.

Start your life afresh.

Good DAy.

jackbl
15-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Maybe u can post the pic here so that if people here see your "wife" they can notify you... again it is also a risk involved for posting pic here :D

mike1304k
15-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Bro TS,

Before doing anything and or approaching anyone, I think the wisest thing you should do is to go to a lawyer and ask them how to best get out of this situation. It is best to be truthful to them and tell them everything because they will be able to advise you if you tell them the truth.

I can see a few potential problems if you do not do something soon about your situation. You do not know where your wife is and most definitely not what your wife is doing. Id she is doing vice and is caught, you will also kenna. If it comes out that you are only married for PR or other reasons, you will also get into trouble.

The next is that you cannot divorce her without admitting that you married her for transaction, unless the lawyers can try to smoothen it out. And once you have divorced her, her status will be terminated and if she is caught, you will again be in trouble. So I guess that legal help will beed to be started as soon as possible so that you can save yourself.

keltoh
19-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Bro TS,

The next is that you cannot divorce her without admitting that you married her for transaction, unless the lawyers can try to smoothen it out. And once you have divorced her, her status will be terminated and if she is caught, you will again be in trouble. So I guess that legal help will beed to be started as soon as possible so that you can save yourself.

pls explain my dear fren? thanks guys for the kind advice

ekemono
19-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Raw rice already cooked.
To divorce the only way is thru legal means. To leave it as it is then forever the problem is there.
What is best now is to come clean with your private lawyer, some will help you go thru it and heck.., make cock sure she is nowhere to be found when the court serve the papers to her.

ekemono
21-05-2009, 01:17 AM

Ah.., found something useful:

What are the legal requirements for a divorce?

You will be granted a divorce only if a Judge of the Family Court agrees that your marriage has ended. In legal language, the Judge must find that your marriage has irretrievably broken down. This is set out at section 95 of the Women’s Charter.

To prove that your marriage has ended, you must show the Court that one or more of the following facts is true:
• that your spouse has committed adultery, and you find it intolerable to live with him or her
• that your spouse has behaved in such a way that you cannot reasonably be expected to live with him or her
• that your spouse has deserted you for at least two years
• if your spouse agrees to the divorce, that you and your spouse have been separated for at least three years
• if your spouse does not agree to the divorce, that you and your spouse have been separated for at least four years.

These requirements are set out at section 95(3) of the Women’s Charter.

What if I can’t find my spouse?

You may proceed with your divorce application in the Family Court, but the procedure may be more expensive and complicated because the Court will still require you to serve the divorce papers on him or her.

Source: The Subordinate Courts of Singapore - FAQs: Divorce (http://app.subcourts.gov.sg/family/faq.aspx?pageid=3688)

keltoh
21-05-2009, 01:27 PM
thanks ekemono for the links
btw "make cock sure she is nowhere to be found when the court serve the papers to her. "
if the the court serve the papers to her in vietnam and is nowhere to be found, doesnt it means that the divorce doesnt take place at all?

ekemono
21-05-2009, 03:58 PM
if the the court serve the papers to her in vietnam and is nowhere to be found, doesnt it means that the divorce doesnt take place at all?

The purpose of serving the papers to her was that under the law, this lawsuit has to be rightfully communicated to her, so that it allows her to made an appeal if deem fit. However, it does mean if she has totally 'disappear", the divorce cannot be proceed. As long as your lawyer and you has made reasonable attempt to communicate to her thru the papers under the eyes of the law, even if she is really nowhere to be found, the attempt will be recognised and acknowledged.
However, if you read the FAQ from the site I posted, if the spouse cannot be contacted then the legal fee will be more expensive, and I assume your lawyer and the court needs to assume another set of procedures into it.

Btw, when I said make sure she is nowhere to be found, I was worried if eventually she is "found", will she spill the beans on you? the arranged marriage transcation.

Hope it helps

FL Lover
21-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Actually hor, TS is to be blame. Who tells him to go for fake marriage and now wants to get out of it, got trapped and start asking bros over here for advice.

Hope u learn from this mistake. Dont repeat the same thing again thinking that now there is a solution and you can do the same thing. WRONG. Quit before you get into serious trouble.

DO_YOU_BJ
22-05-2009, 01:12 AM
FL Lover, in all fairness, I think TS deserves credit for even telling the TRUTH in the 1st place.
He coud have SAVED FACE and claim that he married the woman and after came out from hotel california, she disappeared.
But he did not, thus I will give him credit for that.
We all make mistakes we live to regret but by this post, it's quite obvious eh already damn Ai Wan liao....so just relak a little ya bro ;)

TS, consult a lawyer, tell him the ENTIRE truth and let him make the law work for you to your advantage......

All the best and good luck!

FL Lover
22-05-2009, 10:12 AM
FL Lover, in all fairness, I think TS deserves credit for even telling the TRUTH in the 1st place.
He coud have SAVED FACE and claim that he married the woman and after came out from hotel california, she disappeared.
But he did not, thus I will give him credit for that.
We all make mistakes we live to regret but by this post, it's quite obvious eh already damn Ai Wan liao....so just relak a little ya bro ;)

TS, consult a lawyer, tell him the ENTIRE truth and let him make the law work for you to your advantage......

All the best and good luck!

Hehehe. I take back my hash words from TS. Anyway hope TS learn from it and he is able to resolve it peacefully

xunyuan911
24-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Bro
what you have to do is to get a lawyer to do the divorce paper and tell the lawyer what had happen and they will do everything for you and submit to the family court and wait for the court to decide.
you dun have to worry about where she is as long as if she missing more the 3 year without you notice the court will give you the divorce asap:)
i had just finish my divorce paper and waiting for the courts to approve it ,mine oso a foreign bride from indonasia:)
good luck bro

keltoh
26-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Actually hor, TS is to be blame. Who tells him to go for fake marriage and now wants to get out of it, got trapped and start asking bros over here for advice.

Hope u learn from this mistake. Dont repeat the same thing again thinking that now there is a solution and you can do the same thing. WRONG. Quit before you get into serious trouble.

of cos im to blame and becos i know that there will be bros here giving so here i am. to be honest im offended at the way u bring it (your first sentence) i appreciated advices given, and i already knew its my fault i dun need any more sarcasm. thanks.

keltoh
26-05-2009, 05:03 PM
sorry fl lover, didnt read your latest post. i would not have wanted to do divorce if i did not have a gf whom i see that i would wana get married with. and im not a middle income man, imagine the amount i have to fork out cos the first few lawyers i went to quote me at least 6K for it.

ekemono
26-05-2009, 07:21 PM
sorry fl lover, didnt read your latest post. i would not have wanted to do divorce if i did not have a gf whom i see that i would wana get married with. and im not a middle income man, imagine the amount i have to fork out cos the first few lawyers i went to quote me at least 6K for it.

if you earn less that 15K last year, you can apply for some legal help.
Go back to my earlier post on Pro Bono services

crashalot
27-05-2009, 05:08 PM

My take .... get a divorce lawyer because there is a legal marriage. There are ways and means of divorcing even when the other party cannot be found. The court will not query into any "fake marriage" - where in the above account is there anything to say that the marriage was faked? The woman left, that is all.

Good luck, bro.

Joker74
29-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Hi Bro...

Don't know if this can help.

Get her Vietnam local address first.
Go to an lawyer and request for a divorce.
Get the lawyer to apply to the court for the divorce stating that your wife run away during your absent. Lawyer to send register post of the divorce document to her Vietnam address. (To proof that she or her immediate family member have received the document)
Get the lawyer to indicate in the document that by what date if she does not appeal to the court, the document will take immediate validity. Make should you also indicate that you do not have to pay any maintenance fee because she is the one who ran away.

Regards,
Joker74

Cheonging101
29-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Hi Bro...

Don't know if this can help.

Get her Vietnam local address first.
Go to an lawyer and request for a divorce.
Get the lawyer to apply to the court for the divorce stating that your wife run away during your absent. Lawyer to send register post of the divorce document to her Vietnam address. (To proof that she or her immediate family member have received the document)
Get the lawyer to indicate in the document that by what date if she does not appeal to the court, the document will take immediate validity. Make should you also indicate that you do not have to pay any maintenance fee because she is the one who ran away.

Regards,
Joker74

Bro, I think bro TS will have problems with this one. Seems that he does not have her VN address when they went into the transaction.

FL Lover
29-05-2009, 11:19 AM

Good to hear that you are going to settle down with the gal you love. No choice now. Just died died have to look for lawyers to settle the divorce. Tried to look around for other advice from lawyers before you commit the best option.

This is the best that I can help since I have not encountered such things. Why dont u try to seek helps from bros over here who had married foreign brides and in the end the brides run away. Seek how they divorce their wives. The procedure is the same if you do not take into the part abt the transaction thing.

Some bros might be able to help u in this part. But first, you have to let us know what info u have e.g. HER ADDRESS IN PRC LAND, CONTACT NUMBER (PRC HOME) etc. Then bros should be able to advice u on that.

keltoh
01-06-2009, 04:40 PM
i do not have her address or her hse no. i dont even knw which state she stay. unless immigration willing to dig out the past record cos if i rmb correctly, she did put her address in the form application before when we do extension of her stay

crashalot
09-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Just go see a lawyer and get it done. It is not an un-solvable problem.

Good luck and keep us posted.

rogerlim
10-06-2009, 12:06 AM
Generally its expensive. One of my friends had abit of this form of issues with a PRC, until now its not resolved! Not sure how they are going to drag on. I've heard however, the family counsellors offer free and low cost when it comes to lawyer's fees.

newyorker88
10-07-2009, 04:54 PM
i do not have her address or her hse no. i dont even knw which state she stay. unless immigration willing to dig out the past record cos if i rmb correctly, she did put her address in the form application before when we do extension of her stay

You marry her in singapore right? Your papers are signed in singapore? So in court cases, if the court finds in your case, that you are divorcing on grounds that you are seperated for more than 3 years, you can get it done easily now.

6k? So expensive? Have you considered any other smaller firms? They wont be so expensive. Or thru church or friends? There may be sympathatic lawyers who would help for free?

Maybe you can go for legal aid for desperate cases. Cannot remember the exact name, but they do provide legal help for free and cash grants for those really cannot afford.

Any other brothers who is a trained lawyer can chip in to help too.

Thanks in advance for helping a fellow brother. Will up your points if you let me know. :)

Medusa
10-07-2009, 06:33 PM
u can ask for a divorce using "unreasonable behaviour" from ur spouse as a divorce reason...as what joker74 had mention...just say that she ran away while u r absence...till now cant be found...dunno what had happen...

find a good lawyer and trustable one...have to handle this carefully...good luck :)

Savanna
14-07-2009, 05:26 PM
In the First Place, has ROM of Singapore acknowledged your marriage in Vietnam a not???

euritage
14-07-2009, 08:27 PM
In the First Place, has ROM of Singapore acknowledged your marriage in Vietnam a not???

it was ROM in singapore... read TS post...

whether ure married in sg or vn doesnt matter.. if you bring your rom cert to the marrigae officials..they'll record it...

Hurricane88
14-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Wow complicated issue and messy problems...this is definitely a serious offence for faked marriage...you may have to engage a PI to look for her...in the meantime get a lawyer to file for divorce on the basis of your wife was missing with a police report...the PI should be able to track your wife down and lawyer can help to advise you legally...you have to be patient...:)

keltoh
15-07-2009, 01:20 PM
i have seen a lawyer, who tell me that i can dispense off service with the case of desertion, 2.5k. but in any case if it doesnt pull through, a 4-5 will be amted but both cases with an immediate divorce n not needing her to sign...is this trustable?

Hurricane88
15-07-2009, 01:30 PM
... but in any case if it doesnt pull through, a 4-5 will be amted but both cases with an immediate divorce n not needing her to sign...is this trustable?

can you elaborate this...not clear what you had written...:)

Max77
15-07-2009, 01:53 PM
we are toking about a live subject here. Some of the advise sound great on one condition only-the bride don't show up and expose the trade along the divorce based on separation/MIA (which i believed is not an easy procedure...)

IMHO, either a large sum of money is needed to shut the bride and settle as normal married couple (provided u can find her in the 1st place), OR a large sum of money is needed to make sure the bride never turn up for good.

Anyway if i didn't read the post any less carefully, she's not a PR, soon she'll be found/caught as missing person and illegal stay subject after visa expired.

Since the mistake is made based on mutual goodwill/benefit, then let's hoped it's solved the same way too. Money cost it; Money solve it.

U Need Good Luck TS

Big Sexy
15-07-2009, 02:02 PM
read here
http://www.sammyboyforum.com/adult-discussions-about-sex/40761-all-you-need-know-about-marriage-divorce-under-sg-law.html

we did not stay together, did not have sex,

Hurricane88
15-07-2009, 03:01 PM
read here
http://www.sammyboyforum.com/adult-discussions-about-sex/40761-all-you-need-know-about-marriage-divorce-under-sg-law.html

Yes, great stuff...thank you for sharing...no choice but to find your spouse to serve her...dun think she is still in singapore...well that's why i said hire a PI to track her down...:)

Max77
15-07-2009, 09:16 PM
wad my buddy said to me over the phone a moment ago giv me an idea, hoped it help a bit more on the issue-(stop seeking, let the solution comes to u, when it's about time)

Actually u can let the solution comes to u naturally. Provided u r not in a hurry to marry someone u liked in the near future.

Instead of looking for her everywhere, let her come looking for u when she need her singlehood again. Then it'll be easier since she's also 'willing' to divorce. Save u quite a bit on money to look for her and law sue.

shanshen
16-07-2009, 10:50 AM
TS, if u think she is still in singapore and plying her ware in nitespot. get a few friends and split them into groups..

station one group at the coffee shop at JC, another group at the coffee shop (was it or lor 40?) selling viet food , next to Mask51.. another group station at lor 29 near Lookers..

she will probably in one of this joints... try your luck there for a period time..hope u can find her in one of this places..

but if she is now a mistress to someone, then probably she may not be there

newyorker88
16-07-2009, 12:09 PM
i have seen a lawyer, who tell me that i can dispense off service with the case of desertion, 2.5k. but in any case if it doesnt pull through, a 4-5 will be amted but both cases with an immediate divorce n not needing her to sign...is this trustable?

You are saying that the lawyer tell you that the marriage can voided with only 2.5K, if she agrees to it? Correct me if I am wrong, any brothers. If both live seperately for more than 3 years, either party can ask for divorce right? And of the other party dont agree, marriage still can be voided?

pewpew
16-07-2009, 12:12 PM
File for a lost person report, police will take the statement.
(Depending on how u record your statement as police tends to ignore n treat as a family matter) Tell them u just got released, afraid that something might happened to your wife as your wasn't there to take care of "her" while u are "inside"

But remember, be prepared to face another charge "IF" your "Wife" is found n sabo u...

Either way, u choose the path yourself~

jackbl
17-07-2009, 01:03 AM
Please post her pic so that ppl can keep a lookout for u and give us ur contact no. if u trust us :D :p

TS, if u think she is still in singapore and plying her ware in nitespot. get a few friends and split them into groups..

station one group at the coffee shop at JC, another group at the coffee shop (was it or lor 40?) selling viet food , next to Mask51.. another group station at lor 29 near Lookers..

she will probably in one of this joints... try your luck there for a period time..hope u can find her in one of this places..

but if she is now a mistress to someone, then probably she may not be there

keltoh
21-07-2009, 04:07 PM
its really getting complicated. first of all there is no pic of her, haix, if have i post already lor. this lawyer im talking to told me that she will file for desertion based on the case whereby she deserted me. if the court doesnt accept this filing then she would have to proceed based on other factors, which would amount up to 5k, with immediate divorce. anyway i believe she is either back home in vietnam or being baoed. but without me as legal husband extending her stay meaning she is overstayer, and will get caught. dun think she is so stupid bah. and i believe as long as i have my stand that she deserted, and we married out of love, i tink that will be easy right. cos no money transaction evidence at all ma...

Hurricane88
21-07-2009, 06:56 PM
its really getting complicated. first of all there is no pic of her, haix, if have i post already lor. this lawyer im talking to told me that she will file for desertion based on the case whereby she deserted me. if the court doesnt accept this filing then she would have to proceed based on other factors, which would amount up to 5k, with immediate divorce. anyway i believe she is either back home in vietnam or being baoed. but without me as legal husband extending her stay meaning she is overstayer, and will get caught. dun think she is so stupid bah. and i believe as long as i have my stand that she deserted, and we married out of love, i tink that will be easy right. cos no money transaction evidence at all ma...

Listen to your lawyer and trust her...your lawyer is a gal according to wat you wrote...:)

keltoh
22-07-2009, 05:01 PM
did i mention lawyer a woman :confused::rolleyes:

Medusa
22-07-2009, 05:32 PM

yes trustable...

3 yrs seperation is needed if both parties agree to sign the divorce paper

4 yrs seperation if either side dont want or cant sign...auto divorce...

keltoh
24-07-2009, 02:06 PM
yes trustable...

3 yrs seperation is needed if both parties agree to sign the divorce paper

4 yrs seperation if either side dont want or cant sign...auto divorce...

4 yrs separation with effect of court submission or what?

Medusa
25-07-2009, 01:54 AM
4 yrs separation with effect of court submission or what?

just go to your lawyer and ask him to write in the affidavit that u r divorcing ur wife...reason being she left you when you are being detained...and now she's nowhere to be found...give ur lawyer the date you and her started living apart...the 4 years will start from the date given.