PDA

View Full Version : Aftermath in Phuket

OceanEleven
27-12-2004, 09:32 AM
After the Tsunami waves attack in Phuket, I wonder how many bros survived a narrow escape. May it be going to go there or just left before it took place? I think the place will take at least one to two years to recover and return to prime. Seems like we’re gonna have one less place to cheong. Any bros have any comments? :)

t123
27-12-2004, 09:47 AM
catastrophe man. Acts of god. I was palnning to go tioman, now I skip. Wah lan, 2004 also not good year. Terrorist acts bombing, now on christmas, tsunamis. I really better pray for world peace.

Halffull
27-12-2004, 09:53 AM
Any effect in HDY?

Ronaldo
27-12-2004, 09:53 AM
Ya man...

I was planning a trip to Banyan Tree with my girlfriend.. Now i think have to re-think... Suddenly Sentosa seems good...

My heart goes out to the affected people, both locals and tourists... Saw on CNN those bodies being washed up... Damn sad... :(

sassina2
27-12-2004, 10:50 AM
Its the luck of the draw with these things. My heart goes out to those who were unlucky here!

bhoven
27-12-2004, 10:59 AM
After the Tsunami waves attack in Phuket, I wonder how many bros survived a narrow escape. May it be going to go there or just left before it took place? I think the place will take at least one to two years to recover and return to prime. Seems like we’re gonna have one less place to cheong. Any bros have any comments? :)

I think the Thais r more resilient...should bounce back within 6 mths. My guess is that more affected will be the family type tourist traffic i.e. this is more elastic to security/safety/comfort stds. They have other choices too..esp the Europeans/Japs/Koreans. Cheongsters are hardcore n will not be as bothered..

OceanEleven
27-12-2004, 11:31 AM
Ya man...
I was planning a trip to Banyan Tree with my girlfriend.. Now i think have to re-think... Suddenly Sentosa seems good...

Errr... Bro, Sentosa seems to be in the frontline if any tsunamis waves are to strike, if touch wood you were there when these waves strike, you might just find yourself in Mandai in double quick time. :D

tanner132
27-12-2004, 11:32 AM
Actually thought of going for a holiday to Phuket as a make up honeymoon with my latest wife. Has never go for our honeymoon with her since we married. Gotto change plan liao. :(

Cheers to all :)

Cummings
27-12-2004, 11:45 AM
It is at times like this where we realised how fragile human life can be... :(

newyorker88
27-12-2004, 04:13 PM
At 4pm today, 27/12/2004, the death toll is abt 15k and definately rise further. Prayers to those who are affected and may them rest in peace. Disease is bound to strike in a few days time, Especially chorela and typhoid and so on.

Usually, here are some tips for staying in earth quake zone.

1. When there is a earthquake, DONT RUN OUT OF THE HOUSE. Hide under the table or something solid. Chances are you will not be hit by falling objects.
Move out when the shaking have stop.

2. Always keep emergency supplies like batteries and torch lights.

3. After a quake, check for gas leaks and be on the alert for flash floods. Underground water may come out. Or pipes may be broken. You never know. Be on the alert for fire as well.

4. Make sure your family is accounted for. Do not go into the house if the house is in bad shape. After shocks may still occur and the house may collapse.

5. Turn on the radio if you have. Govenment will issue warnings or advice. Be on the the alert for any warnings. Or turn on the TV if there is still power.

I hope these are tips for those brothers when they are traveling overseas.

These are some tips and others can suggest or add in more from their experience as well.

Nature forces are not to be meedled with and must be respected.

Good day ;)

OceanEleven
27-12-2004, 06:13 PM
Actually thought of going for a holiday to Phuket as a make up honeymoon with my latest wife. Has never go for our honeymoon with her since we married. Gotto change plan liao.
Cheers to all :)
Now you can consider Maldives cos air ticket sure cheap. ;)

tanner132
27-12-2004, 06:43 PM
Now you can consider Maldives cos air ticket sure cheap. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion. ;)

Malaysian Datuk
27-12-2004, 07:12 PM
Called my girl when I heard the news.....luckily she is safe but very hard to get thru to the phonelines. Let's us pray

acer3939
27-12-2004, 07:16 PM
Now you can consider Maldives cos air ticket sure cheap.

Arrr news say Maldives almost wipe out leh, half the city flood :(

taurus75
27-12-2004, 07:25 PM
terrorist, sars , bird flu , economic downfall, geylang and joo chiat kenna raid
and now the tsunamis....what a year 2004!

let's pray for a good cumming cock year...wash away the pain and sorrow...for earth.

AMITABHA.... :(

gigantic_tk
27-12-2004, 07:32 PM
These are the aftermath site photos of the Tsunami.....to share with samsters here:

About 62 photos ..........

http://soieasy.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Tsunami&op=modload&name=Pictures&file=index&include=view_album.php

Malaysian Datuk
27-12-2004, 07:43 PM
terrorist, sars , bird flu , economic downfall, geylang and joo chiat kenna raid
and now the tsunamis....what a year 2004!

let's pray for a good cumming cock year...wash away the pain and sorrow...for earth.

AMITABHA.... :(Chelsea supporter.....I second that, looking forward to a better 2005 but first let's pray 2004 end without anymore incidents....dun say I crow's mouth but still got a few days to 2005 :(

OceanEleven
27-12-2004, 07:55 PM
Arrr news say Maldives almost wipe out leh, half the city flood :(
That's why go now sure cheap lah, just like after Bali bombing. (Just Kidding, no offence hor.) ;)

OceanEleven
27-12-2004, 08:07 PM
Indeed, the past year had been bad. Honestly, I think the past decade had been bad. Think about all the events that took place, SARS, 911 WTC, Taiwan 924, then the pigs epidemic, bird flu, lost our ex president, two Iraq wars, PAP said impose GST, then happily increase to 5%, the recession, increase in oil price, SIA retrenchment, the Iran twins died in Singapore (kanna fire for being helpful), KNN NS cut to two years only, gas attack in Japan Subway, death of Israeli leader (Arafat), low birth rate, Nicol highway collapse, boss said no bonus, charity show one phone call started with $2 each till now $8 per call........

Shit, it had been a bad year................. :o

cuteboy12345208
27-12-2004, 08:10 PM
It is at times like this where we realised how fragile human life can be... :(

Yeah. agree with Bro Cumming. The more we must protect ourselves when we cheong. As what bro lesnar said "Raw is War"

GiddlyGook
27-12-2004, 11:04 PM
My sympathies to the victims and their families. This incident struck home for me as I had planned to be there a couple of days ago but I could not get a room at the JW Marriott. I even bought airtickets BKK-HKT but refunded them when the hotel room reservation did not come through.

The day of the tidal earthquake I was at BKK airport and all domestic schedules were haywire - my flight to CEI was delayed 4 hours. I did not mind because these are unfortunate times.

tokkon1
28-12-2004, 01:43 AM
My sympathies to the victims and their families. This incident struck home for me as I had planned to be there a couple of days ago but I could not get a room at the JW Marriott. I even bought airtickets BKK-HKT but refunded them when the hotel room reservation did not come through.

The day of the tidal earthquake I was at BKK airport and all domestic schedules were haywire - my flight to CEI was delayed 4 hours. I did not mind because these are unfortunate times.

Life's full unexpectancies. One moment you are sunbathing, jetskiing, snorkelling or even checking into a beachside hotel and the next moment, you are dead. Especially poignant when it occurs in a place we are are so familiar with like Phuket.

Perhaps life is not meant to be a journey or an adventure. Just live it to the fullest that you can day by day so when the time comes and you are at the pearly gates, you can tell yourself "I have live without regrets".

Meaning to life, I guess there is none.

KingEros
28-12-2004, 02:14 AM
catastrophe man. Acts of god. I was palnning to go tioman, now I skip.
You'll be safe in Tioman ... only Indian Ocean affected. :cool:

Errr... Bro, Sentosa seems to be in the frontline if any tsunamis waves are to strike
Ermm ... there's no space in Singapore Straits for any Tsunami to build up in the first place.

nekiddawg
28-12-2004, 03:43 AM
Damn!!!
Still couldn't get hold of the gal which i knew in Phuket.
This is SHIT!!!
She just left Sg 3 weeks ago to BKK for a week to meet her frens and going back to Patong after that.
Now I don't know where she is.
Hope that she is alright and call me back.
**fingers-x** and pray.
sign.... :(

GiddlyGook
28-12-2004, 06:00 AM
Regular TV programming was interrupted last night showing scenes and live reportage from the funeral rites of the King's grandson who was a killed during the incident.

The grandson was the son of Princess Ubolratana who was excommunicated and stripped of her royal title some time back for marrying an American. They were later divorced and her royal title was reinstated some years ago. Her children, she had two a boy and a girl, do not have any royal titles.

The deceased grandson was a really good looking teenager and lived in LA most of the time but was on holiday in the Phuket area.

OceanEleven
28-12-2004, 08:34 AM
This is life's unpredictability at its best, what you lose now may be a blessing disguise. :)

Ronaldo
28-12-2004, 11:34 AM
Errr... Bro, Sentosa seems to be in the frontline if any tsunamis waves are to strike, if touch wood you were there when these waves strike, you might just find yourself in Mandai in double quick time. :D

Hmm.. then how?? no place for holiday before CNY... I need somewhere else other than PRC and HKG mahz.. Maybe Bintan... :D

OceanEleven
28-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Hmm.. then how?? no place for holiday before CNY... I need somewhere else other than PRC and HKG mahz.. Maybe Bintan... :D
Go Nepal lor, in the mountains, quite safe, unless Pakistan or India misfire the missile........ :D

Niceman
28-12-2004, 12:05 PM
:p
I know another best place...
Go LKY house outside and camp, and BBQ,

Super safe....got free security......
If got any quake, he will run 1st, and see him run, you also run....so no quake on you.... :p

Gopherit
28-12-2004, 12:09 PM
It is so sad that so many lives has been lost due to a natural disaster of such large proportions. However, I believe that this would wake up the government of the countries who have mentioned that they have no money to get equipment to monitor such sesmic activities in the Indian Ocean.

Many were not spared in this disaster and we can only pray for those that have been injured and those that have lost loved ones. We hope that we in Asia can be spared another round of epidermic, disaster or any form of suffering that would affect our fellow men

t123
28-12-2004, 12:24 PM
[QUOTE=KingEros]You'll be safe in Tioman ... only Indian Ocean affected. :cool:QUOTE]

Wah lau, you know spratlys is near by tioman. ANy navy officer of the 6 countries contesting for it just itchy hand and press the fire button will put my life in danger boy. Actually, this tragedy only serve to remind me that anywhere is not safe. And liek the families of the victims, I am learning to cope with my grieve for the passing of my grandmother. :)

tokkon1
28-12-2004, 12:26 PM
Was at Phuket last week of Nov. 04. Went there on Star Virgo which is berth just few hundred metres off Patong Beach. Was wondering what wud had happen to the ship if it was there when the tsunami hits?
Star Virgo shud be berth right now at Patong Beach if schedule unchanged.

OceanEleven
28-12-2004, 12:33 PM
Was at Phuket last week of Nov. 04. Went there on Star Virgo which is berth just few hundred metres off Patong Beach. Was wondering what wud had happen to the ship if it was there when the tsunami hits?
Bro, I think more pple would have died, firstly the passengers on board, secondly the pple on land if SSV is berth there at time of inicident. Nothing can escape the waves, SSV will be engulf by the waves and pushing it underwater hence sinking it. Passenger on board stand no chance at all as the flooding of the ship comes at great pressure and speed and no man can swim/react against such swift motion. :o

KingEros
28-12-2004, 03:18 PM
Nothing can escape the waves, SSV will be engulf by the waves and pushing it underwater hence sinking it.
Ships of SSV's tonnage dun get sunken by tsunamis ... deaths came about only through those trapped in smaller vessels & in buildings very near to the shores.

What really baffles me is that earthquakes (even underwater ones) should be predictable at this time & age ... so was this all about human complacency again?? :confused:
I mean, all in the maritime community would be warned of any tropical revolving storm building up, so why weren't anybody warned of these tsunamis?? :confused:

OceanEleven
28-12-2004, 04:02 PM
Ships of SSV's tonnage dun get sunken by tsunamis ... deaths came about only through those trapped in smaller vessels & in buildings very near to the shores.

Bro, I beg to differ, waves of this size is strong enough to list the ship hence capsize. Once capsize, water will rush into space and unbalance the ship and sink it. :o

LUSTJUICE
28-12-2004, 08:21 PM
How long brothers estimate Phuket will at least restore to it's original, let say, 70%? Still intend to go at the end of january leh.

Anyone got any friend at Phuket can confirm not?

Thank you har.

Malaysian Datuk
28-12-2004, 08:26 PM
Bro, I beg to differ, waves of this size is strong enough to list the ship hence capsize. Once capsize, water will rush into space and unbalance the ship and sink it. :oI agree...super tankers also will be capsize

Malaysian Datuk
28-12-2004, 08:28 PM
Regular TV programming was interrupted last night showing scenes and live reportage from the funeral rites of the King's grandson who was a killed during the incident.

The grandson was the son of Princess Ubolratana who was excommunicated and stripped of her royal title some time back for marrying an American. They were later divorced and her royal title was reinstated some years ago. Her children, she had two a boy and a girl, do not have any royal titles.

The deceased grandson was a really good looking teenager and lived in LA most of the time but was on holiday in the Phuket area.
newspapers said he lived with the mother since young (never say where) and was educated in Thailand.....the King said to dote on him

Malaysian Datuk
28-12-2004, 08:31 PM
:p
I know another best place...
Go LKY house outside and camp, and BBQ,

Super safe....got free security......
If got any quake, he will run 1st, and see him run, you also run....so no quake on you.... :pcamp outside LKY house? Gurhkas headshot you with MP5 even before you lay down groundsheet

arghhhh
28-12-2004, 08:47 PM
How long brothers estimate Phuket will at least restore to it's original, let say, 70%? Still intend to go at the end of january leh.

Anyone got any friend at Phuket can confirm not?

Thank you har.

according to news, dun think can restore that fast

unicornboy
28-12-2004, 09:33 PM

What really baffles me is that earthquakes (even underwater ones) should be predictable at this time & age ... so was this all about human complacency again?? :confused:
I mean, all in the maritime community would be warned of any tropical revolving storm building up, so why weren't anybody warned of these tsunamis?? :confused:

We humans may have the brains, all the most advance and sophisticated hi-tech stuff but if the ALMIGHTY want it to happen, we are helpless against the wrath of Mother Nature!

fandi
28-12-2004, 09:42 PM
From the damages, looks like it need to take at least 6 months
to rebuild the area.....but believe Thai Authority wud take
speedy action to restore the area asap since tourism in Phuket is
considering the main rice bowl to the nation.

But i guess it would have psychological effect on tourists who
coming here. Tourists may not be as many as before.
Just like what it happened on Bali......though tourists
still visiting the island but the numbers has dropped significantly
since.

KingEros
29-12-2004, 12:16 AM
Bro, I beg to differ, waves of this size is strong enough to list the ship hence capsize. Once capsize, water will rush into space and unbalance the ship and sink it.
I agree...super tankers also will be capsize

Having the ship listed slightly beyond 20deg-25deg is nothing if you cross the Atlantic or Pacific regularly ... a good mariner will know how best to handle the ship such that he's not fighting the elements & hence, not risk his crew's life via a capsize. :cool:

However, like I previously highlighted before, I'm speaking for the big merchant ships (tonnage equivalent to Star Cruises) ... & not the smaller vessels, lest some samsters would start pointing out that these smaller vessels ended like toys being thrown about by this spoilt kid called Tsunami. :eek:

hulkster_1
29-12-2004, 12:41 AM
Well if the Star Virgo Capszie then can go treasure hunting ( say hunt for surviver] and dive/walk to the jackpot room, and clear everything... then walk out wif 1 dead body, and say its your relative. Then grab a bike and drive away to airport.

KingEros
29-12-2004, 01:09 AM
Well if the Star Virgo Capszie then can go treasure hunting ( say hunt for surviver] and dive/walk to the jackpot room, and clear everything...
My mama once told me ... no good to make money from the dead. ;)

Xazz
29-12-2004, 01:29 AM
what really upset me is that fact that the Thai Meteorological department was actually aware of the earthquake but have chose not to warn the population of it. Imagine how many people could be saved if they have done something.
Those people who have decided against a warning should be condemned to hell.. :mad:

hulkster_1
29-12-2004, 01:34 AM
Ya, Hawaii has informed Japan about the earthquake that was gona strike indonesia in a couple of days time. We won't really know why nobody reacted. The governments will just blame it on "complacency" and "lack of system". Billions of dollars will now be spent on rebuilding.

what really upset me is that fact that the Thai Meteorological department was actually aware of the earthquake but have chose not to warn the population of it. Imagine how many people could be saved if they have done something.
Those people who have decided against a warning should be condemned to hell.. :mad:

ladyassasinato
29-12-2004, 03:11 AM
Had planned to go LOS for new year party and countdown this 31st but now canceled my trip due to some circumstances at home.
Also, it now somehow dose'nt feel right to be partaking in partying and indulge in celebratory activities in light of recent events in neighbouring countries. I think this New Year eve will be quite sombre mood. So many innocents had their lives suddenly snuffed out due to an unpredictable act of Nature!
Did the "higher" powers inexplicably decide to suddenly take a headcount of the world's population!! I wonder after seeing some grim scenes and news of tragedy and loss. THis Act of "God" and Nature so easily ending the lives of so many young, innocent and mostly underprivelaged. Just goes to show how small our lives really are when compared against the backdrop of such human tragedy!!

LauheroNo1
29-12-2004, 03:38 AM
Had planned to go LOS for new year party and countdown this 31st but now canceled my trip due to some circumstances at home.
Also, it now somehow dose'nt feel right to be partaking in partying and indulge in celebratory activities in light of recent events in neighbouring countries. I think this New Year eve will be quite sombre mood. So many innocents had their lives suddenly snuffed out due to an unpredictable act of Nature!
Did the "higher" powers inexplicably decide to suddenly take a headcount of the world's population!! I wonder after seeing some grim scenes and news of tragedy and loss. THis Act of "God" and Nature so easily ending the lives of so many young, innocent and mostly underprivelaged. Just goes to show how small our lives really are when compared against the backdrop of such human tragedy!!

This is life, bro! Why the predestined "powers" which decide the lottery of life provide us with surrounding land mass so we can siamz the giant tsunami waves while our not so lucky neighbours face the full impact. THe only magnitude of tremors felt here are only small tiny vibrations felt in places like Toa Payoh.
Here in Sillypore, we so lucky and life goes on while others devastated by acts of nature. Everyday pple here will still queue for 4d/ toto and bet soccer while garmunt collect ERP and raise taxes and worry abt how economy will go up/down in 2005 or not!!! Best is go batam and just chiong and forget the ills and irony of this world. My heartfelt condolences to all the victims and families of lost ones in this unforgiving world of ours.

OceanEleven
29-12-2004, 08:41 AM
what really upset me is that fact that the Thai Meteorological department was actually aware of the earthquake but have chose not to warn the population of it.
Well reminds me of the Vice President in "The Day After Tomorrow". Smetimes pple choose to ignore and take risk but what they did was actually depriving others of a chance to calculate their own risk. :mad:

edkoh2000
29-12-2004, 10:33 AM
Long time no post here.

This was one of my fav places and I visited many a times the last few years. I was thinking of going again since Air Asia offered such cheap ticket prices but lucky for me, being busy at work prevented me from going.

Anyway now in Hatyai and heard that many people died here too.

naemlo
29-12-2004, 12:12 PM

Read the news n immediately I called BKK... half sad half happy, happy cos nothing happen to my love ones, sad cos it's very 'messy' in the affected area. Life is so unpredictable, one moment u r enjoying yourself but within seconds u r resting forever.....

fleaz
29-12-2004, 12:45 PM
i was told by my friend in bkk that on the 28th, 29th and 30th of this month. all flags will be down half. also, they are planing to cancel all new year celebration. so any bros that planing to celebrate new year eves there better check 1st.

cheers
fleaz

OceanEleven
29-12-2004, 01:02 PM
Read the news n immediately I called BKK... half sad half happy, happy cos nothing happen to my love ones, sad cos it's very 'messy' in the affected area. Life is so unpredictable, one moment u r enjoying yourself but within seconds u r resting forever.....
Uncle, can be more specific, which love ones??? :rolleyes:

naemlo
29-12-2004, 01:09 PM
Uncle, can be more specific, which love ones??? :rolleyes:

U should know which love.... definitely not 211

natto3
29-12-2004, 04:59 PM
Its the luck of the draw with these things. My heart goes out to those who were unlucky here!
bro sassina, long time no see. i was trying to go up there after returning from sydney on 22dec. could'nt get tickets. my place being in town sustained no damage. i m still unable to contact another couple of samsters working there.
i would avoid the place for the mo due to epidemics that may break out. pity to all those unlucky souls.

sassina2
29-12-2004, 09:16 PM
bro sassina, long time no see. i was trying to go up there after returning from sydney on 22dec. could'nt get tickets. my place being in town sustained no damage. i m still unable to contact another couple of samsters working there.
i would avoid the place for the mo due to epidemics that may break out. pity to all those unlucky souls.

Natto, glad that you were not on the beach that morning.

The town is totally safe with the mountains protecting it from the Andaman sea.

I am also glad that although my friends sufferred financial losses of their properties, none of them sufferred loss of life of their families.

Even a cute girl I know who was in Khao Luk (one of worst hit places) was lucky to be in her office on the hill when it happened and she sufferred no damage on herself too. Lucky her but not for a couple of thousand other people from all over Thailand and the rest of the World.

Whatever, I am going to Bangkok tomorrow for the NY and until the 4th. I need to let out some steam to close off this year!

And, I will go to Phuket in Feb during CNY.

unicornboy
29-12-2004, 10:33 PM

Being God's creatures, we don't know whats his plan. Maybe with this unfortunate episode, we human race may unite and help those unfortunate ones who died tragically and those who are living miserably. Race and Religion are secondary now. There are lessons to be learnt from calamities caused by act of God. :(

dargonfly75
30-12-2004, 04:02 PM
I am currently collecting donations to help the victims in Phuket. Will be flying off within these few days. Any donations can be deposited to my POSB savings account 045-10738-8. Any amounts are welcome, for further details kindly PM me and I will get in touch with you. Thank you all for your time.

Hello, you sound fishy. Please do not take advantage of the situation to make profit for yourself.

Dunno if you are sincere or not but ppl who wants to donate, please go through the proper chanel like donate via the Singapore Red Cross Society.

Watch CNN and you will get the details on how to donate.

OceanEleven
30-12-2004, 04:37 PM
Hello, you sound fishy. Please do not take advantage of the situation to make profit for yourself.
Dunno if you are sincere or not but ppl who wants to donate, please go through the proper chanel like donate via the Singapore Red Cross Society.

Although he is doing for a good cause but I still urge bros to donate to proper channel for I believe we still have some reservation about his sincerity and intentions. Since there is an official site for all collection, might as well make use of it. :cool:

tokkon1
30-12-2004, 11:21 PM
Animation of the tsunami. Seems like it hits 1st Sumatra, then Phuket, Penang after which Sri Lanka then India. If someone have presence of mind to call Sri Lanka , India etc since the tsunami hits them couple of hrs after Thailand and Malaysia were hit, perhaps many lives cud hv been saved.

http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/tsunami/Mov/TITOV-INDO2004.mov

natto3
31-12-2004, 09:01 AM
Natto, glad that you were not on the beach that morning.

The town is totally safe with the mountains protecting it from the Andaman sea.

I am also glad that although my friends sufferred financial losses of their properties, none of them sufferred loss of life of their families.

Even a cute girl I know who was in Khao Luk (one of worst hit places) was lucky to be in her office on the hill when it happened and she sufferred no damage on herself too. Lucky her but not for a couple of thousand other people from all over Thailand and the rest of the World.

Whatever, I am going to Bangkok tomorrow for the NY and until the 4th. I need to let out some steam to close off this year!

And, I will go to Phuket in Feb during CNY.
catch you there during cny. i try ticket now. have fun and happy new year.

sassina2
31-12-2004, 12:18 PM
Happy New Year to all of you here too! (from Bangkok!)

OceanEleven
04-01-2005, 08:04 AM
Happy New Year to all of you here too! (from Bangkok!)
Is BKK affected by this tragedy? Or just as jam and pack as ever? :)

sassina2
05-01-2005, 05:39 AM
bangkok ran almost full during the New Year !
1) Lots of refugees (tourists) from the Tsunami areas seeking aid from their embassies, hospitals etc.

2) Lots of normal year end tourists and even more as many diverted from disaster areas.

Despite the early closing hours and 3 days of mourning, most entertainment joints opened late and some till 6am on NY's eve. No regrets to be in Thailand to spend NY Holidays for me and my friend.

OceanEleven
05-01-2005, 07:32 PM
Despite the early closing hours and 3 days of mourning, most entertainment joints opened late and some till 6am on NY's eve. No regrets to be in Thailand to spend NY Holidays for me and my friend.
Seems that now has one less option and BKK will be more packed than ever, wonder will the price increase, now demand more than supply....... :o

fandi
06-01-2005, 11:38 PM
natto3,
r u the one who recommending casa summerbreeze nearby patong
beach to fellow samsters here?
if yes, any news about the staffs there? and also the boss lester?

hope they're all ok.......

gigantic_tk
07-01-2005, 05:59 PM
Many hotels on Thailand's west coast have been badly affected by the devastating Tsunami waves that struck shores on 26 Dec 2004, Sunday morning.

Below is a complete update of many of the hotels in the areas worst affected. It is important to remember that hotels on Thailand's East coast on the Gulf of Siam have not been affected, so hotels on Koh Samui, in Hua Hin, Cha-Am, Pattaya etc are all fucntioning as normal without any affects caused by the Tsunami.

PHUKET HOTEL STATUS
Amanpuri The flooding destroyed the gym, beach and tour counters.
Amari Coral Beach Closed until further notice
Andaman Seaview Can operate with normal power and water supply, operating normally
Baan Thai Beach Resort Closed until further notice
Banyan Tree Operating normally, except beach restaurant
Burasari Closed until further notice
Cape Panwa The hotel only has minor damages to the beach and the road in front of the hotel (barely noticeable.)
Central Karon Village The flooding did not affect the hotel at all. The hotel operates as normal.
Club Andaman Beach Resort A few rental restaurants in the front of the hotel are totally demolished. The pool is closed and being repaired at the moment. The bungalows were partially flooded but people are now moving back in.
Chedi The swimming pool is damaged along with all the beach front bungalows and the beach restaurant.
Duangjitt Resort The big swimming pool is closed along with some rooms on the first floor.
Dusit Laguna All the rooms on the first floor, the swimming pool and two of restaurant (Italian/ Seafood) took a direct hit. The activities areas are gone and all the rooms on the 1st floor are closed. Everything else at the hotel is operating as usual.
Evason Phuket The pier was destroyed and the beach is ruined but the flood did not affect the hotel at all.
Felix Karon The flooding did not affect the hotel at all.
Hilton Phuket Arcadia The “Zen” Japanese restaurant is closed because of the damages as well as the staff parking lot. However, the flood did not affect the hotel at all since it is in the same shape as it was before the flood.
Holiday Inn Closed, can not accommodate any guests until Feb 28th
Horizon Beach Resort Closed until further notice
Impiana 100% damage, closed until further notice
JW Marriott No structural damage or fatalities, but swimming pool, pool bar and beachfront restaurant temporarily closed
Karon Beach Resort Closed until further notice
Kata Beach Resort Partially damaged (swimming pool, beachfront area, some seaview rooms)
Katathani Bhuri Operating normally
Katathani Thani Damage on ground floor rooms, garden and swimming pool area. Guests occupying ground floor rooms have been offered a move to Katathani Bhuri
Laguna Beach Resort The 1st Floor of the hotel is damaged (swimming pool, rooms, etc.) They have, however, moved their clients to the south wing or to 2nd – 4th Floors.
Laguna Phuket Operating normally
Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort No water and power supply
Marina Phuket Operating normally except “On the rock” restaurant
Merlin Beach Resort Closed until further notice
Novotel Coralia Operating normally
Orchidacea OK (located on higher level)
Patong Beach Hotel Closed until further notice
Patong Lodge Hotel Operating normally
Patong Merlin All bookings cancelled until further notice
Peach Hill Hotel & Resort Operating normally
Pearl Village Moderately affected, will be back in operation within 3 days.
Phuket Merlin Is safe, but cannot accommodate any additional bookings
Phuket Orchid The flooding did not affect the hotel at all. Operating as normal.
Royal Paradise Operating normally except the road at the front of the hotel is damaged.
Sabana The flooding came up to the parking lot and destroyed the office. The rest is still in place.
Seaview Patong 100% damage, closed for at least 7 months
Sheraton Grande Laguna The only damage is on the beach and the beachfront restaurant.
Southsea Karon Beach OK
Thavorn Beach Village & Spa The bungalows are all damaged. Their two restaurants, Marisa and Old Siam, are wrecked. They are serving 3 meals at the lobby village club and their clients are staying in the Ocean View Villas.
Trisara Minor damage on beach pool and a few beachside sundeck lounges. Otherwise operating normally.
Twinpalms No damage, no fatalities. Operating normally

PHANG NGA HOTEL STATUS

Anantara Royal Coco Palm Totally destroyed
Khao Lak Orchid Beach Resort Closed until further notice
Khao Lak Sunset Closed until further notice
Mukdara Closed until further notice
Paradise Koh Yao OK, no damage and no fatalities
Southsea Pakarang Closed until further notice

KRABI HOTEL STATUS

Andaman Holiday Operating normally, except Beach pool, beach bar and “on the rock” restaurant. Two other pools are open and one restaurant is still operating.
Ao Nang Villa Operating normally
Krabi Resort Operating normally
Krabi Thai village Operating normally
Phranang Inn Only “Phranang Kitchen” is temporarily closed until further notice. Otherwise operating normally
Rayavadee Closed until further notice
Sheraton Krabi Operating normally

PHI PHI HOTEL STATUS

Bayview No water and power supply due to damaged generators and the beachfront restaurant is closed at the moment
Holiday Inn Phi Phi Only minor damages, but the hotel is suffering from a lack of food and drinking water
Phi Phi Charlie Closed until further notice
Phi Phi Erawan Palm Still operating with beach side damage. The hotel is considering closing.
Phi Phi Island Cabana Closed until further notice because of complete lack of water and power supplies.
Phi Phi Island Village Air conditioning at the beachfront villas is broken. Some guests have moved to Krabi or Phuket, most guests at hillside villas have decided to stay
Phi Phi Natural The resort was only slightly damaged.
Phi Phi Princess Closed until further notice
Phi Phi Tonsai Closed until further notice because of complete lack of water and power supplies.

LANTA HOTEL STATUS

Pimalai Resort & Spa Operating normally except 7 beach villas and “Rak Talay Restaurant”
Royal Lanta Slight damage in the kitchen area and the pool. Other then this operating normally.
Southern Lanta Damaged in beach area and beach bar. The accommodation is operating as per normal.
Twin Bay Resort Closed, no cancellation charges and full refund of all deposits.
Twin Lotus 100% damaged, closed for the remaining season

sassina2
09-01-2005, 09:58 PM
Bro Natto3,

The late owner of Timber Rock Khun A died in the Tsunami and his younger brother is now running the place. We really hope it will be as good a before if not better because Khun A was quite special as the owner.

His story goes this way:

He was out at Surin Island on a dive trip.

That morning the main party left by boat to dive and he stayed back to have an extra coffee with another farang diver chap.

They noticed the water recede and decided to go up the hill behind them. Halfway up the hill, he remembered his cellphone, wallet and car keys and went back down to get it from the tent.

The wave came and got him when he was down there.

Surely there will be other stories of other people that we know etc. Hopefully less will be better than more!

OceanEleven
10-01-2005, 12:44 AM
May their souls rest in peace.

natto3
10-01-2005, 09:04 AM
Bro Natto3,

The late owner of Timber Rock Khun A died in the Tsunami and his younger brother is now running the place. We really hope it will be as good a before if not better because Khun A was quite special as the owner.

His story goes this way:

He was out at Surin Island on a dive trip.

That morning the main party left by boat to dive and he stayed back to have an extra coffee with another farang diver chap.

They noticed the water recede and decided to go up the hill behind them. Halfway up the hill, he remembered his cellphone, wallet and car keys and went back down to get it from the tent.

The wave came and got him when he was down there.

Surely there will be other stories of other people that we know etc. Hopefully less will be better than more!bro sassina, i got the news already as you said. pity, he was a friendly guy who also owned the pub in the ocean shopping center. there are another couple of friends that i have'nt been able to contact, god i hope that they r ok.

natto3
10-01-2005, 09:09 AM
natto3,
r u the one who recommending casa summerbreeze nearby patong
beach to fellow samsters here?
if yes, any news about the staffs there? and also the boss lester?

hope they're all ok.......
brother fandi, if i'm not wrong lester tried to sell his hotel last year in may and i think he was about to pen the deal. last i heard he bought a piece of land in rawai. i tried to call him but the reply is always that the no is not on the new gsm waveband. i have'nt been back to phuket yet, so i can't really asses the damage first hand. my place is in town so it's ok, i hope the quake did'nt shake it too much. thanks bro.

landmarq2003
25-01-2005, 04:19 PM
actually phuket is not that badly affected like wat the media say.. i wonder whether the rates for the WLs have dropped now..

sassina2
12-02-2005, 10:07 AM
actually phuket is not that badly affected like wat the media say.. i wonder whether the rates for the WLs have dropped now..

The market is softer now but rates you are quoted in Phuket town e.g. Rome Hotel 4th floor is still ST2k and LT4k.

I had a 21yr old sweetie (special order via local contact) for 3.5k LT.

Did not check out the beerbar farang scene but it looks pretty normal and I can say that the whole island is alive and kicking back! With special fares and hotel deals, Phuket is surely on the mend!

natto3
12-02-2005, 12:22 PM
yeah, you're right bro sassina, i think phuket is happening again. there are many promotion till next month at least. even the women!
the worst hit area was actually khao luk which is about 100km north of phuket. it was a relatively new area and the damage was tremendous. banyan tree suffered hardly any damage at all. i heard that only the sheraton laguna and the beach stalls suffered seveare damage. people in the pool rooms did not know the enormity of the situiation till later. when you back? :)

frankykhoo1269
06-03-2005, 07:40 PM
I have overbooked a hotel room at Phuket Potong Andatel from 13-19 March. Any bros visit Phuket within this period may want to consider cut your cost by renting from me. My room is able to accommodate up to 2 adults and 2 kids. As I will be flying off next Sunday, email me direct at [email protected] with contact nos. for immediate offer which you deem right. Perhaps we could cheong together too. May check detail at web : http://www.phuket.com/andatel.

marmelad
01-09-2013, 05:03 PM
try our best girls there-we have good selection all around Thailand
also can travel any place-minimum boooking for 1 day(24 h)
you can take our model to your trip and she will escort you any place

bodohmusibat
05-09-2013, 10:49 PM
----------------